the former AFL teams in a sentence
1. Both conferences were created as part of the 1970 merger with the rival American Football League (AFL), with all ten of the former AFL teams and three NFL teams forming the AFC, and the remaining thirteen NFL clubs forming the NFC.
2. The $3 million indemnity that the Steelers received for joining the AFC with the rest of the former AFL teams after the merger helped them rebuild into a contender, drafting eventual-Pro Football Hall of Famers like Terry Bradshaw and Joe Greene, and ultimately winning four Super Bowls in the 1970s.
3. Following the addition of the former AFL teams into the NFL in 1970, the NFL split into two conferences with three divisions each.
4. the former AFL teams plus three NFL teams (the Baltimore Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Cleveland Browns) would constitute the American Football Conference (AFC), while the remaining NFL clubs would form the National Football Conference (NFC).
5. Both conferences were created as part of the 1970 merger with the rival American Football League (AFL), with all ten of the former AFL teams and three NFL teams forming the AFC while the remaining thirteen NFL clubs formed the NFC.
6. In order to balance the merged league, all ten of the former AFL teams along with the NFL's Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Baltimore Colts formed the AFC, while the remaining 13 NFL teams formed the NFC.
7. Current AF1 teams were given the right to adopt the former AFL teams' identities, but initially, Utah chose to brand as the "Utah Thunder."
8. As a result of the NFL-AFL merger being finalized for the 1970 season, three teams from the "old" NFL were moved to the newly formed AFC alongside the former AFL teams.
9. As part of the merger, the former AFL teams, plus three former NFL teams (the Baltimore Colts, the Cleveland Browns and the Pittsburgh Steelers), were placed into the AFC.
10. When the American Football League completed its merger with the NFL in 1970, three NFL teams were given a $3 million payment to join the former AFL teams to form the American Football Conference.
11. After the merger was completed in 1970, NBC would broadcast games from the American Football Conference, composed of the former AFL teams as well as three teams from the old NFL.
12. All of the former AFL teams, including the Houston Oilers, joined the NFL.
- three NFL teams
- the AFC
- the remaining thirteen NFL clubs
- the NFC
- league expansions
- division realignments
- the merger
- the current total
- 16 clubs
- each conference
- The current AFC champions
- the 2019 AFC Championship Game
- their first conference championship
- team history
- the conference
- four divisions
- four teams
- the thirteen opponents
- each team
- the 16-game regular season schedule
- a pre-determined formula
- Each AFC team
- the other teams
- their respective division
- 10 other games
- their schedule
- the NFL
- a particular team's final divisional standing
- The remaining 8 games
- the roster
- two other NFL divisions
- a standard cycle
- the 2012 regular season schedule
- the AFC West
- every team
- the AFC North and NFC South
- non-divisional competition
- common opponents
- the two games
- the team's prior-season divisional standing