the Tombigbee District in a sentence
1. He settled in the Tombigbee District during the early 1770s.
2. Washington County was organized on June 4, 1800 from the Tombigbee District of the Mississippi Territory by proclamation of territorial governor Winthrop Sargent.
3. In 1767, the British moved the northern boundary to the 32° 22′ north latitude, extending from the Yazoo to the Chattahoochee River, which included the Natchez District and the Tombigbee District.
4. In 1763, West Florida's northern border was initially set at the 31st parallel north, but it was moved in 1764 to 32° 22′, the junction of the Mississippi River and the Yazoo River and now the location of Vicksburg, Mississippi, to give the West Floridians more territory, including the Natchez District and the Tombigbee District.
5. The eastern half of the Mississippi Territory was labeled the Tombigbee District and later Washington County.
6. The Natchez District was one of two areas established in the Kingdom of Great Britain's West Florida colony during the 1770s – the other being the Tombigbee District.
7. Fort Stoddert was built by the United States to keep the peace by preventing its own settlers in the Tombigbee District from attacking the Spanish in the Mobile District.
8. In the British period West Florida's northern border was initially set at the 31st parallel north, but was moved to 32° 22′ in 1764 in order to give the West Floridians more territory, including the Natchez District and the Tombigbee District.
9. Later the council evolved into having three districts, the Running Bear District, the Talking Warrior District, and the Tombigbee District.
10. After the expiration of his term as Secretary of State in 1804, Thomas Jefferson appointed him Superior Court Judge for the Tombigbee District of the Mississippi Territory.
11. Following his victory, Jefferson appointed Toulmin to succeed Ephraim Kirby as Superior Court Judge for the Tombigbee District of the Mississippi Territory in 1804.
12. When the state of Alabama was created from part of the Tombigbee District in 1819, Toulmin was chosen to represent Baldwin County at the state's constitutional convention in July 1819.
13. The Tombigbee District, also known as the Tombigbee, was one of two areas, the other being the Natchez District, that were the first in what was West Florida to be colonized by British subjects from the Thirteen Colonies and elsewhere.
14. The Tombigbee District was an area mostly on the west side of the Tombigbee River in Alabama;
15. Continuously plagued with attacks by hostile Native Americans who resisted the encroachment on their territory, the combined free and slave population of the Tombigbee District, a part of the Mississippi Territory since 1798, was approximately 1,250 people in 1800.
16. On June 4, 1800, the Tombigbee District became the central core of the newly created Washington County, Mississippi Territory.
17. Despite the great size of Washington County, the Tombigbee District remained the area of primary settlement.
18. Prior to the War of 1812 and Creek War, the Spaniards in Mobile had allowed British merchants to sell arms and supplies to the Native Americans to harass the American settlers in the Tombigbee District.
- the early 1770s
- a few miles
- the Tombigbee River
- Clarke County
- Mobile County
- Washington County
- the Mississippi Territory
- the Province of Georgia
- the Revolutionary War
- December 10, 1817
- the Alabama Territory
- The United States Congress
- March 3, 1817
- St. Stephens
- December 14, 1819
- July 5 to August 2, 1819
- 1819 to 1820
- Dallas County
- the Upper South
- Black Belt
- more than 300,000
- a few years