that year's US Open in a sentence
1. Sampras forfeited the No. 1 ranking to Agassi when injury forced him to withdraw from that year's US Open, which Agassi went on to win.
2. Sampras forfeited the No. 1 ranking to Agassi when injury forced Sampras to withdraw from that year's US Open, which Agassi went on to win.
3. After losing to Evert in the semifinals of that year's US Open in September, the 18-year-old Navratilova went to the offices of the Immigration and Naturalization Service in New York City and informed them that she wished to defect from Communist Czechoslovakia.
4. He reached the semifinals of that year's US Open, where he lost to Cédric Pioline.
5. In August 2017, Azarenka's custody battle for her eight-month old son resulted in her withdrawal from that year's US Open.
6. He defeated countryman Guillermo Cañas in the first round and Philipp Kohlschreiber in the second, before losing to former world No. 1 Carlos Moyá. At that year's US Open, he defeated Nicolas Mahut and Melzer, before losing to eventual finalist and third seed Novak Djokovic in the third round.
7. Sudsy also was a commentator for that year's US Open Racquetball Championships, which were broadcast on Tennis Channel.
8. That year's US Open provided the first ever all-Williams final between sisters Venus and Serena, after both upset the world's top two players in their respective semifinals, Hingis and Capriati.
9. Her best Grand Slam result was in 1996, making the third round of that year's US Open.
10. She also reached the fourth round of that year's US Open, defeating Barbora Strýcová and Monica Niculescu before falling to then-world No. 1 Karolína Plíšková. Following struggles with injuries and an increased focus on doubles, including a semifinal showing at the 2019 Australian Open, Brady returned to prominence in singles in 2020, where she defeated Maria Sharapova, and recorded her first No. 1 victory by defeating Ashleigh Barty at Brisbane, and defeated Elina Svitolina, Markéta Vondroušová, and Garbiñe Muguruza at Dubai.
11. In 1971 he partnered with Zeljko Franulovic to make the fourth round of the men's doubles at the French Open, then teamed up with Jimmy Connors at that year's US Open and reached the third round.
- the season-ending ATP Tour World Championships
- the round-robin match
- three more times
- the Grand Slam level
- three memorable contests
- the top-ranked Agassi
- 3 Sampras
- an important win
- the previous 5 matches
- their most memorable match
- the 2001 US Open quarterfinals
- the entire match
- US Open rain delays
- both players
- Their last meeting
- the 2002 US Open
- their third meeting
- several up-and-coming players
- No. 3 Tommy Haas
- the fourth round and future No. 1 Andy Roddick
- the final ATP tour singles match
- the opponent
- all the players
- Agassi's big rivals
- a playing style
- the baseline
- their meetings
- long and entertaining rallies
- the prodigies
- the next great generation
- American tennis players
- foreign descent
- the first four matches
- a straight-set victory
- the 1988 US Open
- their best match
- high-quality shot-making
- the momentum
- a five-set victory
- the toughest contest