sirenians in a sentence
1. Elephants and sirenians are further grouped in the clade Tethytheria.
2. sirenians such as manatees;
3. The closest relatives of the Proboscidea are the sirenians and the hyraxes.
4. Manatees have shorter snouts than their fellow sirenians, the dugongs.
5. Sirenians have a large, fusiform body to reduce drag through the water.
6. Sirenians are K-selected, and display parental care.
7. Sirenians, unlike other marine mammals such as cetaceans, lived in the New World.
8. The lungs of sirenians are unlobed;
9. Sirenians are referred to as "sea cows" because their diet consists mainly of seagrass.
10. Environmental hazards induced by humans also puts sirenians at risk.
11. Sirenians are thought to have a 50-million-year-old fossil record (early Eocene-recent).
12. Both cetaceans and sirenians are fully aquatic and therefore are obligate water dwellers.
13. Sirenians, the sea cows, became aquatic around 40 million years ago.
14. Sirenians live in shallow coastal waters, usually living 30 feet (9.1 m) below sea level.
15. Sirenians are referred to as "sea cows" because their diet consists mainly of sea-grass.
16. Sirenians are closely related to elephants.
17. Similar trends have been found in sirenians.
18. In addition to this, they also targeted seals, sirenians, and sea turtles.
19. It is related to elephants, sirenians, hyraxes and the extinct desmostylians.
20. Both cetaceans and sirenians are fully aquatic and therefore are obligate water dwellers.
21. Examples include caecilians, modern sirenians and the plant genera Acacia and Bacopa.
22. Both cetaceans and sirenians are fully aquatic and therefore are obligate ocean dwellers.
23. These two species are the oldest sirenians, dating to the Eocene.
24. The nasal bones are larger than other sirenians.
25. On the basis of molecular studies, elephants and sirenians appear to be sister groups.
26. Both cetaceans and sirenians are fully aquatic and therefore are obligate water dwellers.
27. Unlike extant sirenians, Protosiren had hind limbs.
28. The testes of marine mammals such as sirenians and cetaceans are testicond.
29. Sirenians and desmostylids have also been found in coastal assemblages.
30. The lungs of sirenians are unlobed;
- Bryan Patterson
- Kenyan Miocene
- Orycteropus mauritanicus
- 5 million years
- O. a. capensis
- between 60 and 80 kilograms
- between 105 and 130 centimetres
- 3.44–4.27 ft
- 2.2 metres
- up to 70 centimetres
- 60 centimetres
- about 100 centimetres
- 3.3 ft
- about 1,500
- jaw molars
- between 9 and 11