one deficit in a sentence
1. He rebounded from his Wimbledon defeat by winning the US Open, beating Todd Martin in five sets (rallying from a two sets to one deficit) in the final.
2. In the series, Boston came back from a three games to one deficit, winning the final four games to capture the title.
3. Opening the playoffs with a close first-round series against the Calgary Flames, Vancouver rallied from a three-games-to-one deficit to win the series in seven contests.
4. He also fought back from a two-sets-to-one deficit against a young Juan Martín del Potro to win a five setter in the semifinals.
5. At the Australian Championships, played in Brisbane, Hoad overcame a two sets to one deficit against Mervyn Rose in the quarterfinal and beat Neale Fraser in the semifinal to reach his second consecutive Australian final.
6. The 1979 World Series victory also made the Pirates the only franchise in baseball history to twice recover from a three-games-to-one deficit and win a World Series (previously they had done so in 1925 against the Washington Senators).
7. In 1925, the Pirates became the first team to come back from a three-game to one deficit to defeat the Washington Senators and win the World Series.
8. The Pirates won in seven games, becoming the fourth team in World Series history to come back from a three-games-to-one deficit to win the Series.
9. The '85 Royals had previously come back from a three games to one deficit to win the American League Championship Series against the Toronto Blue Jays.
10. The Tigers came back from a three-games-to-one deficit to win three consecutive games, largely on the arm of Mickey Lolich, who was named World Series Most Valuable Player (MVP);
11. The Tigers were the third team to come back from a three-games-to-one deficit to win a best-of-seven World Series, the first two being the 1925 Pirates and the 1958 Yankees;
12. The Dodgers, with this hit, avoided a three-games-to-one deficit, avoided becoming the victim of a no-hitter, and tied the Series at two games each.
13. Facing a two games to one deficit in the series, the Sabres came through with a 2–1 victory.
14. Also, in the 2000 Stanley Cup playoffs, the New Jersey Devils overcame a three games to one deficit against the Philadelphia Flyers to win the Eastern Conference Finals.
15. First, they battled back from a three-games-to-one deficit to defeat Mauch's Angels in the 1986 American League Championship Series, reaching the World Series against the National League champion New York Mets.
16. While the Mets won the NLCS in six games, the Red Sox had to overcome a three-games-to-one deficit to squeak by the California Angels in the 1986 American League Championship Series.
17. The Marlins came back from a three games to one deficit and won the series in seven games, advancing to the World Series against the New York Yankees, whom they defeated in six games.
18. After a hard-fought and physical series, the Celtics eventually came back from a three-games-to-one deficit to defeat the Sixers, repeating a feat they accomplished in 1968.
19. Game 4 was a pivotal game for the Mets, who were faced with a two-games-to-one deficit.
20. This marked the third time Boston came back from a three games to one deficit in a League Championship Series.
21. He scored on his debut, finding the net in the 88th minute against Lincoln City He again found the net, in a high scoring match of 10 goals against Cheltenham Town, helping the team to overturn a three-one deficit.
22. In the semi-final, Djokovic beat Murray in five sets after 4 hours and 50 minutes, coming back from a two-sets-to-one deficit and fending off break points at 5-all in the fifth set.
23. Opening the playoffs with a close first-round series against the Calgary Flames, Vancouver rallied from a three-games-to-one deficit to win the series in seven contests.
24. The Washington Capitals overcame a three games to one deficit to win the series.
25. On October 15, the Marlins defeated the Chicago Cubs four games to three in the Championship Series, coming back from a three games to one deficit.
26. In the second round of the playoffs, the National League Championship Series, they came back from a three-games-to-one deficit to defeat the St. Louis Cardinals.
27. The Leafs lost Game 7 in the first round against the Boston Bruins despite holding a 4–1 lead with 11 minutes to go in the third period, though Toronto had battled back from a three games to one deficit just to force the seventh game.
28. In the World Series, the Cubs came back from a three-games-to-one deficit, winning the final three games.
29. The last time a team came back from a three-games-to-one deficit to win the World Series was the Kansas City Royals in 1985.
30. He also fought back from a two-sets-to-one deficit against a young Juan Martín del Potro to win a five setter in the semifinals.
- 5 titles
- two majors
- Sampras's record
- six consecutive year-ending top rankings
- the only time
- his second Australian Open title
- a five-set semi-final and Yevgeny Kafelnikov
- four consecutive Grand Slam finals
- only the fourth player
- the reigning champion
- three of four Grand Slam events
- only the Wimbledon title
- the inaugural Tennis Masters Cup
- the Russian's hopes
- his Australian Open title
- a straight-sets final win
- a cramping Rafter
- a sell-out crowd
- the Aussie's last Australian Open
- another close match
- the fifth set
- a 3-hour, 33 minute epic match
- no breaks
- the 52-game match
- the setback
- the only male tennis player
- the oldest player
- 32-year-old Connors
- a two-time defending champion
- the injury
- his Key Biscayne title
- The last duel
- the final
- a 20–14 edge
- their 34 career meetings
- Sampras's career
- Agassi's US Open finish
- his Masters Series victories
- the oldest year-end
- 32 years