Ray Mala in a sentence
1. One of the most prominent movies filmed in Alaska is MGM's Eskimo/Mala The Magnificent, starring Alaska Native Ray Mala.
2. The first full-length motion picture he directed for MGM was Last of the Pagans (1935) starring Ray Mala.
3. He was also employed by the film industry as a consultant and scriptwriter, specializing in Arctic-related scripts, most notably MGM's Oscar-winning Eskimo/Mala The Magnificent starring Ray Mala, and featuring Freuchen as Ship Captain.
4. Ray Mala (December 27, 1906 –
5. Ray Mala's career had peaked in the 1930s, and in 2009 he was named a "Top Ten Alaskan" by TIME Magazine.
6. Ray Mala was born Ray Wise in the small village of Candle, Alaska to a Russian Jewish immigrant father and a Native Alaskan mother.
7. Ray Mala gained praise following Eskimo and as a result MGM cast him as the lead in Last of the Pagans (1935), directed by Richard Thorpe and filmed on location in Tahiti.
8. Robinson Crusoe of Clipper Island (1936) is a Republic Movie serial starring Ray Mala.
9. The film stars Ray Mala as Mala, Lulu Wong Wing as Mala's first wife Aba, Lotus Long as Mala's second wife Iva, Peter Freuchen as the Ship Captain, W. S. Van Dyke as Inspector White, and Joseph Sauers as Sergeant Hunt.
10. MGM wanted Ray Wise, the actor and cameraman (who later changed his name to Ray Mala), as the star of the picture, and he would become Alaska's first movie star.
11. Ray Mala offered the role of Iva to Sadie Brower, a 17-year-old half-Inupiat girl.
12. He singled out Ray Mala, Lulu Wong Wing, and Lotus Long for being particularly effective in conveying emotion.
13. Ray Mala became known for his work in Eskimo, and subsequently had a career as a lead and supporting actor in Hollywood, mostly in movie serials and B movies.
14. He died two years later on April 6, 1946 in Los Angeles County, California, at the age of 79. Though Thunderbird acted in twenty films, he was never cast in a lead or supporting role, although Native American performers like Chief Yowlachie, Will Rogers, and Ray Mala did portray prominent screen characters.
15. The film stars Chester Morris, Jane Wyatt, Charles Bickford, Ray Mala, Kate Drain Lawson and John Bleifer.
16. One of the most prominent movies filmed in Alaska is MGM's Eskimo/Mala The Magnificent, starring Alaska Native Ray Mala.