Mount Cynthus in a sentence
1. Apollo's birthplace was Mount Cynthus on the island of Delos.
2. She was sometimes known as Cynthia, from her birthplace on Mount Cynthus on Delos, or Amarynthia from a festival in her honor originally held at Amarynthus in Euboea.
3. The Greek goddess of the wilderness and the hunt, Artemis, equated with the Roman Diana, one of whose symbols was the Moon and who was often regarded as the goddess of the Moon, was also called Cynthia, from her legendary birthplace on Mount Cynthus.
4. Cynthia is a feminine given name of Greek origin: Κυνθία, Kynthía, "from Mount Cynthus" on Delos island.
5. Cynthia was originally an epithet of the Greek goddess Artemis, who according to legend was born on Mount Cynthus.
6. Mount Cynthus (Κύνθος, Kýnthos) is located on the isle of Delos, part of the Greek Cyclades.
7. Mount Cynthus is a bare granite rock not more than 400 to 500 feet (120 to 150 m) high.
8. The theatre stood at the western foot of Mount Cynthus, facing Rheneia, and not far from the stoa of Philip.
9. In a small valley which leads to the summit of Mount Cynthus, leaving the theatre on the left, many ruins of ancient houses are observable;
10. As the centre of the circular Aegean islands ("Cyclades"), Mount Cynthus offers superb views of the innermost islands: Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Syros, and Rhenia.
11. "But let the night be calme and quietsome, Without tempestuous storms or sad afray: Lyke as when Jove with fayre Alcmena lay, When he begot the great Tirynthian groome:" Cynthia is a female name given to Mount Cynthus, but it was also a name for Selene, the personification of the moon who is spying on the couple.
- the centuries
- Walter Burkert
- symbols and omina
- sēmeia kai terata
- the omens of the days
- the 4th century
- the month Apellaios
- the month
- Delphi (Omphalos
- the "Dark Ages"
- Typhon (Τυφῶν
- Northern European
- the Nordic Elves
- The Vedic Rudra